Jo Hamilton's music has perhaps best been described as 'Sarah McLachlan playing Robbie Burns songs backed by Sigur Ros'. Frequently deeply moving, it embodies a deep appreciation for the natural world, conjuring ancient folk songs recast in a new context, all fronted by one of the world's most remarkable female voices.
Stemming from a nomadic family with roots in both Kenya and Jamaica, Jo was brought up in a house two miles from the nearest neighbour in the wilds of northern Scotland. Now based in Birmingham, England, Jo’s debut album "Gown" quietly received huge acclaim from the UK national press, and gained Jo fans, including Prince (who has been opening his world tour dates with one of Jo's songs) and Laura Mvula.
2016 will see the release of the long waited follow-up to Gown, 'Fractals' and the accompanying film 'Fractal Sparks'.
- 70,000 Facebook followers
- Pioneer of the use of the Airpiano in live performances
- Prince opened several of his Hit and Run tour shows with cover of 'Liathach" from Gown
- Scored a major charity TV/cinema sync campaign for McCann Italy in 2013.
- Performed to over 5 million people live on the BBC World Service and on the main stage at TEDGlobal
- 2014 created 'Fractal Sparks' spectacular in Durham Cathedral, England
- 'Fractals' and the accompanying film 'Fractal Sparks' coming late 2015
Four Stars: MOJO, UNCUT, The Independent, The Independent on Sunday, The Guardian, Rock n Reel, themusiccritic.co.uk
"She is Awesome" - Prince
"She is one of the reasons I decided to write songs." - Laura Mvula
"Singular and Unforgettable, Hamilton is quite a discovery." - The Guardian
"When Jo Sings, something thaws that I that I didn't even realize was frozen." - Sweet Billy Pilgrim